INTERVIEWS: Frowning (Germany)


[Interview by Negrura]
Funeral Doom Metal from Dresden, Germany. Frowning has so far released 4 albums; “Of Graves, of Worms, and Epitaphs” (Split with Aphonic Threnody, March 2014), “Funeral Impressions” (Full-length, December 2014), “Extinct” (Full-length, February 2017) and “Death Requiem” (Full-length, September 2020). Here is an interview with the genius, Val Atra Niteris.

Hail! Please introduce yourself who talked on behalf of Frowning?
Well since Frowning is a onemanband there’s not much choice about bandmembers. This is Val Atra Niteris the one and only bandmember.

What encouraged and inspired you to form Frowning? Tell us more about the band history?
When I was 16 I got into Funeral Doom, first Evoken and Pantheist, later Worship and Mournful Congregation. I really wanted to do music like that and tried to immitate their music. I also tried out other styles of Doom Metal like more melodic and a little faster. At this time I also really got into Black Sun Aeon but I decided to focus on the slow and heavy stuff so one day I contacted Aphonic Threnody after listening to their debut and asked about a cooperation for a split – they agreed. We released the split EP “Of Graves, of Worms, and Epitaphs” in early 2014. With that release I got the attention of the American label “Wretched Records“ I signed a contract and released my debut “Funeral Impressions” in December 2014.

Please further define your musicstyle and what sort of bands that truly influenced you, musically and soundwise?
Slow, heavy and depressing. I think the band that inspired me the most was Mournful Congregation, but also Lycus, Tyranny, Slow, Aphonic Threnody, Abyssmal Sorrow, DoomVS and of course the ones I already mentioned before.

Elaborate more on your lyrical writings and the messages you want to express?
Not every song has a certain message on some I got philosophical like “Apocalyptic Essential Misery” it’s about how we all build our own graves cause we’re so blinded by our greed. But mostly I try to express things I feel or just gain the atmosphere of the music with some words. I’m also not the best person to write lyrics, I like to focus on the music. Of course there are things I want to express but I always fail on articulation so I like to outsource the lyrics thing sometimes to other people.

Provide some information about your latest album “Death Requiem” (2020); compositional process, recordings, final production, etc?
It was a very long process writing and producing the album cause I wanted pure perfectionism in everything – song writing, sound, artwork…

The composing took me about 6 years – yes there are some old songs I had to finish but of course some are written in 2019 and 2020 as well. The final mix took me about 4 months because I found out that I had clipping on the drums which means all the tracks I recorded were unusable. I wanted the perfect sound especially on the drums so I really got into details which took me a lot of time. But the result is pretty satisfying.

Are there any specific ideas you put in this album?
Well I wanted a pretty dark and cold atmosphere I think I got that done.

What made you decide to release under Russian label - GS Productions?
I worked with Vitaly before a couple of times and he is actually a nice person to work with cause he is really uncomplicated.

Share a brief thought about your previous full-lengths, “Funeral Impressions” (2014) and “Extinct” (2017)?
“Funeral Impressions” was a lot of experimenting with the musical style but people somehow like it the most. I really enjoy A Way Into Relief, Murdered By Grief and Day In Black on that album the rest is ok but not something I think would stand out. It’s pretty raw since I had only one overhead for the drums and no actual bass guitar so I only pitched my guitar down.

“Extinct” was a try to get a cold and grey atmosphere and also trying to get a much better high quality sound. I think I really discovered my style of Funeral Doom with that album and took Frownig a level further. My favorite on the album is probably “Buried Deep” which is the longest song I’ve ever written. It’s also special to me because one of my closest friends (Hekjal – vocalist of Ad Cinerem) wrote the lyrics for me. He really digged the atmosphere of the music and wrote a lyrics which fits perfect for the song. He also featured on the track “Encumbered by Vermin”. But I had another two features – Number 1: Stan of Suffer Yourself who sang a kind of duet with me on “Nocturnal Void”, Number 2 was my father who played actual church organ on Marché Funebré by Frederic Chopin.

Anything confirmed for the next releases? What can we expect for your new works?
I work on new material and will hopefully release a new record next year but nothing is for sure about the release at the moment. I just write a couple of new songs.

Salutant Frowning. May success be with you! Some of your last words?
Thanks for having me!

frowning@gmx.de