INTERVIEWS: Tanak Bihis (Malaysia)


[Interview by Salvaje]
When Tanak Bihis first emerged into the metal scene in 2015, it was nothing but a side-project to stray away from the usual malarkey. Upon releasing few records and tracks over the years, Tanak Bihis became more of a serious act than just a project. Thus, taking its form today as one of Malaysia’s DSBM artists.

Hail! Who is behind Tanak Bihis? Introduce more about yourself?
Tanak Bihis is a one-man depressive suicidal black metal band started back in 2015 in Kuching, Sarawak (EAST MALAYSIA) as a side-project to stray away from the usual thrash scene I was involved in. Tanak Bihis was a gateway for me to express myself without concerning or having contradicting ideas with bandmates and others. In the early days I began writing raw black metal stuff and had released a demo in 2015 itself titled “Jeran Nuju Bala Iblis” which was sadly produced in extremely limited numbers.

Tell us the history of the band? Explain the meaning of the name Tanak Bihis?
Tanak Bihis became more of a serious band rather than a side-project after the release of the studio recorded single “Hear Me No More” in 2017. At that point I knew the direction I was heading to with Tanak Bihis and this was when I discovered DSBM drawing influences from great names such as Happy Days, Xathrites, None, Thy Light and also adding a tinge of inspiration from old Burzum. “Hear Me No More” was the transition for Tanak Bihis from typical raw black metal and towards a more depressive style of black metal. The name TANAK BIHIS literally means BLACK SOIL in my native Bidayuh Serian language.

Why do you want to act as a one-man project instead of as a full band?
Like I said, working alone for me has always been pushing my creativity and ideas to the limit and I felt free in terms of expression and songwritings. I won’t have to be in arguments, chasing release dates and just getting that pressure off is awesome. I prefer working alone for Tanak Bihis.

Please describe Depressive Suicidal Black Metal the way of Tanak Bihis and who influenced you musically?
DSBM to me when I first heard of it was pure sorrow, sadness and outright depressive. I started off with Happy Days and I was hooked on the style that they’ve made. So I wanted to write depressive stuff and turned out adding in my own style instead. In recent releases I have always been trying to put more effort in creating my own brand of DSBM and less on trying to copy others. So I would say Tanak Bihis is clinging onto its own DSBM branch and not just a copy of other artists I don’t think.

Define the concept of your lyrics and the topic / subject you have written?
My inspiration in writing for Tanak Bihis was mainly on depression, self-hate, suicide and mental disorders. These are the hurtful and horrific realities amongst us that we refuse to do something about. So I am here to prove that mental illness and depression is not a joke and it does KILL.

Share some important information about the latest releases and new recordings from Tanak Bihis?
You can follow Tanak Bihis on Instagram (@tanakbihis) and Youtube (Tanak Bihis Channel) for more updates. Quick flashback, Tanak Bihis had just released an official music video for “Unceremonious Burial” on Youtube in December 2020. The track also made its way to Spotify and Amazon this year and you can check them out! Speaking of newer releases, I have no comments on this at least for now due to few delays, but nevertheless there will be another new record so stay tuned.

Are you satisfied with the quality of your workpieces over the years?
Tanak Bihis started as a raw black metal act and it sounded shitty as hell but I was grateful that it helped Tanak Bihis get noticed among the lads within the local scene at the time. As for the new stuff, I tried making Tanak Bihis sound more mature and as polished as I possibly could. I mean if you had the chance to improve why won’t you take it right? Haha!

Tell us briefly a few things about the previous Tanak Bihis demo releases?
I wanted to write about demons, evil, witches and bestial sex and shit. And so I did with the first demo. However, that was short-lived when I felt like I wasn’t doing anything unique. Everyone wanted to talk about demons and Satanism so I decided to not do what others have done abundantly. So I turned to DSBM instead and it went amazing. I have found a sound for Tanak Bihis to attach itself to.

What are Tanak Bihis’ future goals and what are your hopes for the band?
I have always seen Tanak Bihis as one of the few driving forces for the local DSBM scene here in Malaysia. A great respect to fellow DSBM artist Sial from Malaysia! And not forgetting those new seeds emerging after the birth of Tanak Bihis with bands like Serenity and Fear Ov Existence. I am honored and never have I expected to inspire new generations to start doing what they love. Much respect!

Final words are yours? Thanks.
Final words? I, David Dean (Lord Blacksoil) from Tanak Bihis would like to thank each and everyone of those who have been supporting me since the very start. To those who were involved in recordings, writings, photoshoots, videography and promotion of Tanak Bihis, you know who you are and thank you very much for the endless effort. I would also like to thank the fans and followers for showing a great deal of feedback for “Unceremonious Burial” recently! I never expected that song would be another milestone in the history of Tanak Bihis so here’s a million huge black metal THANK YOU to all of you! To those who are reading this article, you are now part of Tanak Bihis. Hails and cheers from the dark depressive black soils of Sarawak!

tanakbihis@gmail.com