INTERVIEWS: Abyss Of Animas (Argentina)


[Interview by Demonio]
Abyss Of Animas hails from Buenos Aires, Argentina and has recently released its debut 2-track EP entitled “Memory Resembles Emptiness” (launched on January 17, 2020). Stand as an unipersonal work of Santiago Sauza, Abyss Of Animas is currently is about to unleash a full-length album. Check it out!

Hello Santiago Sauza. How are you? Tell me a little about yourself?
Hello Demonio and everyone at Himnos Rituales. I started as a drummer for many bands, I have recorded with Demoniac Infected, Svetkant, Scumblack, Inazulina, Proteus, Azator,  Excelsis Tenebrae and shows and tour those bands and others like Vorgrum, Wolves Winter, Moonlight Asylum, Lord Kraven, Vector, Victimario, among others. With shows in different countries of South America, and tours in Europe.

Right now I’m the drummer of Cernunnos and Vector. At  Abyss of Animas I work alone.

What made you decide to form Abyss Of Animas? What are the targets of this band?
Abyss of Animas is a one-man-band project. I want to work freely about music, without other musicians telling if “it’s or it’s not” black metal, or doom, etc.

The first target was to create my own project to express myself. After that, I decided to work on it to make it grow and reach people.

What is the real meaning behind the name Abyss Of Animas and how is this name associated with the concept of the band?
Abyss of Animas is a  play-on-words. Abyss is for the deepest and darkest place and Animas is about inspiration. Abyss of Animas means the deepest and darkest place of inspiration. At the same time, it’s a dark place for your inner self.

Explain clearly your musical genres and what kind of bands influence Abyss Of Animas?
Any kind of Black Metal and Doom, also Post Rock and soundtracks from movies. In the future Abyss of Animas will have albums of symphonic black metal, post black and other genres/concepts.

Bands like Nargaroth, Austere, Ulver, Celephais, Harakiri for the Sky, Oh Hiroshima, Portishead, Tiamat,  Radiohead and Queen are inspiration for this project, but for the other concepts of music that I will be making for Abyss of Animas, bands like Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Gorgoroth among others, will be an influence.

What sort of topics and messages do you write in your lyrical texts?
I talk about perception, thinking, introspection and that kind of stuff at moments when you are having difficulties to do it, to understand, to think, to feel.

Tell me everything about your debut release, “Memory Resembles Emptiness” – about the song writings, recording sessions, etc?
Memory Resembles Emptiness is the first EP from Abyss of Animas. The first song, about losing memory, and Housed (the second song) about the coma. None of the songs talk about a human being, or a person, or something in that situation, it’s about the situation itself and the perception and the results of that perception and the reasoning about that.

Song writing was difficult because I’m not a guitarist or a bass player, and I recorded all instruments. I recorded and mixed myself at my home studio. But after a long time, I am happy about the results.

Are you fully satisfied with your first effort?
Yes, but I want to achieve a better sound for the next work. 

How do listeners react to your songs? Do you also receive negative comments?
Listeners react well to the songs, many told me that they use it to relax, study, and that kind of stuff and it’s wonderful. And yes, I receive negative comments and it’s ok, the band is not for the taste of everyone.

What is next in your future plans?
First, the LP. It is almost finished, and I want to release it soon. Next, a symphonic black metal EP, and a post black EP. I have songs for those, already recorded.

Thank you Abyss Of Animas. Last words?
Thank you for the space to talk about my music. I invite everyone to listen to Abyss of Animas, and enjoy every sound, without thinking when it's going to change, just enjoy. Thanks.

abyssofanimas@gmail.com